PRIDE=PASSION=POW! KINGS FIST RED WINGS 5-0
While I am a proverbial health nut, tonight I rebelled. I sat down and had a small and very manageable bowl of regular M&Ms (peanut ones suck), Skittles, and Jelly Bellies. I decided to treat myself to one each time we scored a goal, made a great play or Quick made a big save…I was strolling back to refill the small bowl by the 10 minute mark of the second period…and again by the middle of the third.
Where do I start? To avoid writing a novella, let’s hit the highlights:
- Simmonds’ goal was long overdue. He has been working hard the past couple of games and this was a very sweet reward for that effort. He is at his best when he plays like a power forward.
- Big props to Kings’ defense (Mitchell especially) for controlling some of those rebounds and getting a body on Holmstrom to eliminate or neutralize him. You think we missed Willie? More than a little. He was pure awesome tonight. Doughty also did a good job as did Scuderi.
- The second penalty against Martinez in the second for holding was pretty much bullshit but, whatever. Sun goes up, sun comes down, refs suck, you learn to trust it after a while.
- Congratulations to Oscar Moller on his first goal this season. A nice rebound pick up on a Doughty point shot, deflected by Clifford and on net.
- Good job Terry Murray for rolling four lines to not wear out his top two. See…I can compliment him too.
- The number of times the announcers said the word “Quick” – 51 times for each save and 102 additional times praising Quick after each save.
- Alec Martinez was very Martinez of last season…let’s hope that’s not a trend. We have been singing Viva La Alec songs for a few games now.
- 38 to 17 in shots after two periods? Wow. 51 shots by the end? Jesus.
- If you stood at the Kings’ blue line in the second period, you would fall over and into the Kings’ zone.
- That third goal was a thing of beauty. First, Kopitar forces a turnover in the neutral zone. Then Justin Williams near the blue line and with his back to the play, tosses it into the zone, lateral and low. Dustin Brown flies in all alone (how the hell did Brownie get so alone?) to the net. Dustin then takes the shot…because that is what Dustin does…and Kopi gets the rebound. Does he shoot? No. He patiently lets Howard go down like a pro on Sunset Boulevard and Anze shovels it over the down and out Howard.
- The third period was odd. The Kings dominated the early going and took control. Not only Kopi’s goal but Dustin Brown hit the post with about 17:40 left, beating Howard clean. Easily should have been 4-0 at that time. Doughty then made it 4-0 on a shot that deflected off Kopitar. Doughty showed patience and kudos for the low, hard shot. More of that. Those are the ones that give goalies fits. After we went up 5-0 on the rocket of the slapper by Jack Michigan Man Johnson, I know the Wings didn’t give up but you could feel they were going through the motions. Did we beat them? Yes. Notice how we were all over their turnovers and made them pay? Yes. Did we break their spirit? YES! And I loved it.
- After the Kings went up 5-0, did you look at the scoreboard and ask yourself, “are we really up 5-0?” I did.
- Red Wings fans suck. After it was 3-0, the crowd sounded like mute zombies. At Staples Center, you would hear LET’S GO KINGS chants, cheering, chics flashing, fights, anything to get the team going…then again, we wouldn’t have fallen behind 3-0 nor lost 5-0 so the analogy requires a stretched imagination.
- Red Berenson was interviewed during the third period. He was asked what he thought of Jack’s play. He responded “Dean Lombardi sucks…” I know, I was offended as well…I kid Red…Love you man, keep knocking out those big time players.
- Lidstrom is 40? Come on. He’s cheating. Only if you start counting when he turned 12.
- Mike Babcock is a great coach and he can compliment Doughty with deity references anytime. Thanks Babs.
- Was it my imagination or were there lots of empty seats at the Joe Louis Arena…I am assuming they were mugged or picked up by their parole officers before they got into the Joe.
- Bertuzzi isn’t ugly. He is what ugly considers offensive. If Bertuzzi was an odor, he would be a screaming death fart. If he was a woman, he would be a man. If he was a felon, he would be dead man walking. He is a felon. He should not be playing hockey, nor paid for it. Every time I see him on the ice, I am reminded what he did to Steve Moore…moving on…
- Hopefully, Greene is fine…he says he’s fine. That means he’s fine, right? It better. Scuderi should only need stitches, if that. He can talk to Kopi all about that fun experience.
Damn that was a fun game. Are your lungs still sore from screaming at the TV? How many times did you yell #$%@ YEAH BABY! Me too.
Remember to check out the Goalie Tracker page.
SCREAM IT AGAIN!