Let’s have some fun. Before the game, we got this from Hammond:
NOTE: Dustin Penner was a late scratch from the game, with an undisclosed injury. I’m hoping for an update after the game.
Upper body? Lower body? Out of body?
Immediately after the game we got:
Dwight King took Penner’s spot in the lineup.After the game, when asked about Dustin Penner’s status, and why he missed the game, Terry Murray paused, then said that he made the decision to scratch Penner in order to get another look at Dwight King. Before the game, a team spokesman said Penner “had an injury,” and that Murray would give an update after the game. So, we’ll see tomorrow.
This was followed by:
No, that was just me making a change in the lineup. I wanted to see Kinger [Dwight King] one more time. And I was kind of pleased with the way he performed, with a last-minute decision like that. What a great play on the goal. He played, probably, his best game of the training camp, all around. Really skating well, playing with two good players, reading off them, moving the puck, keeping up with the pace. I thought his game was outstanding, actually.
You paused after you read Terry paused didn’t you? You then paused again when you realized that you paused not just because Terry Murray paused but because Hammond found it important enough to mention Terry Murray paused, which had to have been a noteworthy pause because Terry generally pauses before he answers questions. Did the team spokesman make an incorrect statement? Maybe…but I don’t think so. Why? Because Terry Murray paused.
So, what could it be?
1. He is injured, Terry doesn’t want to talk about it. Why? Is the upper or lower classification taboo now?
2. He isn’t injured, the spokesman was wrong and Murray really wanted to put in Dwight King at the last-minute. Simple, but why the pause? Perhaps the pause was because Murray didn’t know that the spokesman had told Hammond Penner was injured. In other words, Terry was thinking the following during the pause, “son of a bitch, I told that [insert name of spokesman here] to keep his mouth shut, oh oh, I have paused, Hammond is waiting for an answer, damn it, I still haven’t answered his question, now the pause is just getting longer, why the hell is my eye twitching? Jesus, Hammond is skinny. SHIT! Turn off your brain, stop thinking, stop pausing, say something! SPEAK!!”
3. Terry Murray knew if he paused, we would write about it and he enjoys reading the site.
4. Penner has been traded and Zach Parise is getting on a plane to L.A.
5. That wasn’t Dwight King out there. That was Dustin Penner.
6. Dan Ellis sucks.
That is all I can think of…any other ideas?
Murray also said that he expected to make a couple roster cuts tonight, so hopefully those will be passed along fairly shortly…
Bye, Bye, Parse.
Bye, Bye, Happiness.
Hello waiver or trade
I think you’re a-gonna cry-y.
Then again, if Penner is injured, Parse stays.