Papa Parise Says Zach Is Gone. Well, Kind Of, Sort Of…
“Money will be a factor, of course,” J.P. Parise said. “But he likes to win, he likes to have a chance, he likes to compete. … That’s why he decided to accept a one-year contract. He wants to see where [the Devils] are heading, what kind of players they have. They have acquired some good young players. He’s not going to rush into anything. He’ll take his time, analyze the whole thing.”
So, let me make sure I have this straight:
1. Money will be a factor = $7ish million. New Jersey, a franchise with financial problems and $11 million in salary committed to Ilya Kovalsuck, likely won’t pay that.
2. He likes to win = he wants playoff success.
3. He likes to have a chance = he wants to play for a contender.
4. He likes to compete = he likes to have a chance = he wants to play for a contender.
5. He wants to see where the Devils are heading = he wants to see if the Devils are going to win, have a chance and be a contender.
6. Which kind of players they have = players that compete = give the Devils a chance to be a contender.
7. They have acquired some good young players = he has to say something nice here.
8. He’s not going to rush into anything, he’ll take his time, analyze the whole thing = see ya, wouldn’t want to play for ya.
Was Ilya Kovalchuck worth it, Mr. Vanderbeek?