From Hammond:

About Jeff Carter, he said:

BROWN: “I played against Jeff in junior. He’s a goal scorer and I think he’s definitely going to help our team in a lot of areas. He’s a big, strong, fast guy and he can shoot the puck. Guys are excited.”

I wish he had said:

BROWN: “I played against Jeff in junior. He’s a goal scorer and I think he’s definitely going to help our team in a lot of areas. He’s a big, strong, fast guy and he can shoot the puck. Guys are excited but know that he is here because I am not doing my job and I am not scoring enough goals and creating offense. I am not the only one but it starts with me.”

About giving up Jack, he said:

BROWN: “I’ve played with Jack since he has come into the league, and I’ve seen him grow, year by year. He’s a good player. You’ve kind of got to give up something to get something in return. I talked to him a bit last night. He was as OK as you’re going to be when you get traded. I think he’s excited about the possibility of probably being `the guy’ in Columbus. I wish him the best of luck, and I’m sure he will be fine.”

I wish he had said:

BROWN: “I’ve played with Jack since he has come into the league, and I’ve seen him grow, year by year. He’s a good player. We lost a teammate yesterday, not because of Jack but because we weren’t scoring goals and, again, that starts with me. I talked to him a bit last night. He was as OK as you’re going to be when you get traded. I think he’s excited about the possibility of probably being ‘the guy’ in Columbus but it shouldn’t have gone this far and I take responsibility for it.”

About whether it is tense for the guys, he said:

BROWN: “It’s probably the same amount of pressure every year, I guess, depending on the team, if you’re a buyer or a seller, or maybe a little of both. It’s the same story every year. Players are going to be moved around this time, just like draft day. After you’ve been through it a few times, you understand that it’s a part of the business and you go about your business as a player, getting yourself ready to play games. Because, at the end of the day, we have two games here before the deadline that we need to win. We’re in a situation where we can’t be sitting back, wondering what’s going to happen or if someone is going to get moved. We have to worry about getting wins right now.”

I wish he had the gumption to add to that last sentence “and I am expected to lead that charge. And I will do it.”

About his name being out there now, he said:

BROWN: “I can’t say you don’t think about it, but it’s more along the lines of getting here and getting on the ice and working on what I need to do to play well on Saturday. Ultimately, that’s my main focus, is being the best I can for every game. It’s the same thing every year, around this time. Your name gets thrown out there, other names get thrown out, and at the end of the day, you’ve got to get yourself ready to play. You can’t worry about stuff like that.”

I really, really, really wish he had said:

BROWN: “Of course I think about it. But I won’t let it affect my game. The best way to get it out of my head is to start producing, scoring goals, causing the rumors to stop because I am doing my job as captain of this team, bringing my best game every game, leading by example, so that we’re not satisfied and I’m not satisfied by just making the playoffs but going deep. I want to a win a Stanley Cup. I want to do it as a Los Angeles King and that’s the only thing I want my mind on from the moment I get to the rink to the moment I leave. God bless Surly & Scribe.”