Reader Hall Of Fame

You know why we love those who read our pages and comment on Surly & Scribe? Because they are generally just as crazy as we are about the L.A. Kings. What better way to both honor them and bring attention to their insanity than to create a page dedicated to the best comments we have received. This page started on January 28, 2012. I wish I had this idea sooner because there would be a lot of funny, inspiring and/or highly astute comments inducted here. It will be fun to watch this page grow through the coming months and years.

Inducted February 9, 2012 at 11:31pm

Jason W’s comment in the article, Jeff Carter, Ilya Kovalchuk and Questions Nobody Will Ask Dean Lombardi

I’ve been a Kings fan since 1982 and I’m tired of “waiting until next year”!
Fuck that!!!
At least the old shitty teams played hard every night and scored some goals, this is pathetic!
I used to walk up five minutes before a game and sit next to the boards during the weekend games after driving 3 1/2 hours to a game, I’ve paid my dues people!
Fuck, I drank RC Cola, it tasted like shit!!!

Inducted February 16, 2012 at 6:51PM

Good Squad’s comment in the article, Disdain & Condescension: Rich Hammond & Trade Rumors

Yeah, someone needs to tell him that his snark is showing. I guess I could, but I don’t want to be banned from his site. Last time I pointed out some really obtuse grammatical showboating on his part, I was greeted with a loud chorus of ” …”

Really, it’s not that hard to refute a rumor with one simple blog post. Then if people keep asking, instead of getting irritated, you just ignore them. It’s ironic that a guy who has to ask players and management the same 4 questions 374,000 times a year finds it so personally offensive to be asked the same question 3 times in a row. It happens every time he holds an open forum, too.

As I said “elsewhere” today, he really has yet to embrace the concept of an “insider blog.” Still yearning for the good old days when journalists played by rules, and junk.

Inducted April 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM.

Lilyadd’s comment in The Third Surly & Scribe Show 04/17/12 – Post Game, Playoffs, Chaos:

Also can you get JT Dutch to be on the podcast sometimes too? You guys seem to fight a lot and get into these funny and exhausting exchanges of opinions that are just too fun. Except I am still kind of lost on why he uses so many ellipsis when making his point. You can find out the actual true grammatical use for those things if you type them into google. I know because I did it cause I thought that he was truly using them correctly. I was wrong.

Inducted April 19, 2012 at 4:20 AM.

Tuan Jim’s comment in Vancouver Canucks @ L.A. Kings Round 1, Game 4 Open Forum – Spring Cleaning

This time of year I’m always covered in semen or in vomit. There’s no in-between. I hate this fucking sport. It doesn’t give me a minute’s peace.

Inducted May 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM.

longsufferingkingsfan’s comment in Conference Finals Coming Right Up!

I, being of relatively sound mind and rapidly degrading body, do hereby authorize my heirs and kin to bury me in my full goalie equipment if the Kings win 8 more becauses since Hell will freeze over and since I’m goin’ there without a doubt, I might as well be ready for a couple of quick pick-up games with a bunch of my buddies…

Inducted May 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM.

longsufferingkingsfan gets his second induction with this disturbing beauty of a comment in David Beckham: “We’re The Hockey Town…”

I had a terrible case of insomnia. I tried drugs (both legal and illegal), sex (both the “individual” and the obligatory-marital kind), exercise, yoga, accupuncture, hitting my head against the wall, dipping my feet into a bowl of warm urine from a 15 year old Peruvian virgin, I’m talking everything here… And then I turned on the Rangers-Devils game and I was out like a light in seconds…

Inducted April 14, 2013 at 9:30pm

Ryan J. gets his first induction with this visual reference that had us laughing and frightened. His comment is found in the article The State of Ha Ha. Kings Shut the Wild Up 3-0.

That pass from Richards to Carter had me fucking the crease in my couch for hours.

Ryan is very proud

Close up of pic

Inducted March 5, 2014 at 9:59pm

Hamburgular gets his first induction into the Hall of Fame. This December 4, 2013 comment was on our minds for a while and after reading it again, it is just too beautiful not to be here. From the article entitled It’s a 3-2 x 2 ÷ St. Louis = Anaheim Sucks League:

All i keep thinking is how awesome this will all be once we start creating a little more offense. My only disappointment so far this season has been games that should have been 5-2, but wound up an overtime game or loss. Very pleased. One thing has been bugging me though. Id like to see a game stars stick given to someone who isnt threatening to throw his kid over the glass. I thought we dont negotiate with terrorists. I mean wtf. Seriously if your gonna pay the money for those seats, because you want to try and get a stick. Its a good idea to bring a kid small enough to toss onto the ice i guess. Without one there really isnt a chance in hell.

Inducted June 4, 2015 at 8:17PM

1laking gets an induction into the Hall of Fame. This May 11, 2015 comment not only made me laugh out loud but had a witty and smart edge to it while it was and is lined with oodles of truth. From the article entitled Would the Anaheim Ducks Winning the Stanley Cup Be Such a Bad Thing? A Top 10 List:

Yes it would. How much crap did we have to listen to after they won the Cup? Years and years. Then we won ours and what did we have to listen too? “We got ours first!” Once we won our second Cup and ran it right through Anaslime,we have been able to claim that who got one first doesn’t matter since 2 is always better than one (kinda like Charger fans saying Raider fans are losers until we remind them that not only do we have 3 rings and they have none, we have lost more Super Bowls than they have even been too).

Being fans is about bragging rights. It’s about invading another team’s home and having them realize we are the best fans in the world. It’s about knowing that no matter what those other fans say, you can just look at them and hold up 2 fingers (the universal sign that says ‘we got 2 and that’s more than you! ‘).

Everyone for the past 3 years said that the path to the Cup runs through LA or Chicago. Just like the Laker and Celtics,this is the way it should be, and next season, we will be back and take our freakin’ Cup back from the Blowhawks.

Inducted August 4, 2015 at 7:42PM

This comment is just a beauty. The sincerity and simplicity struck a chord with me. It brought back great memories, hell I could smell the arena inside the Fabulous Forum and saw so many of our players over the years in my mind. And Killer Korab. That is a die-hard writing that, no faking it and of course it was one of the worst trades in Kings history in giving up a 1st for him that the Sabres used to draft…Phil Housley. From the article entitled Die-Hard L.A. Kings Fans Like You and Me Are So Damn Fortunate to Live and Love Our Team:

Back, back, back in those early days, sitting in the colanade, watching a rag tag team, compete, compete well, lose maybe 1-0,2-1…what always stood out was the beauty of the game, it could be a rush up ice, it could be a save, a goal, emotions running high, a fight on the ice or in the stands. A new player coming onto the team, high hopes, a new coach…a new direction, high hopes, a new GM, high hopes for smart moves. The years roll by, high hopes every new season, Triple Crown Line, the Pumpernickel, Danny Maloney, Killer Korab and on and on…the game still beautiful…Gretzky, wow, McSorley..early 90’s, some success, high hopes. And then, the game still beautiful to watch, take your breath away, success…two cups, a most remarkable come back, once, twice, three times, so special…my cup is full, but I go on with high hopes.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 4,252 other followers